Thursday, July 14, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!

I had occasion to be somewhere when a person came with an offer of left over cookies from an event to give for the less fortunate. I will not mention the group because it doesn't matter and I'm not making judgements. This act reminded me of the famous quotation from Marie Antoinette who "lost her head" during the bloody French Revolution. When the queen was told that the masses were hungry without bread to eat, her response was "Let Them Eat Cake." I am not putting this generous person in the same category as Marie Antoinette but I believe when massive numbers of people are hungry and hopeless, society needs to address the problem with more than a band aid for everyone's benefit.There's a lot of unused land in the inner cities that could be cleared by the unemployed and used for a community garden to serve anyone willing to go into it and work and take the food and cook it, can it, freeze it whatever. We have the resources to feed the hungry and it doesn't have to be "cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment